Saturday, February 28, 2015

Stitch Fix #1: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Well, people of the internet, I think I have finally completed my blogging pre-requisite. I have joined every other female blogger with $20 in her pocket and tried out StitchFix.

If you are kind of tired of hearing about StitchFix, go ahead and skip to the pictures. If you haven't  heard of StitchFix before, here's the run down:

StitchFix is a subscription box service that sends hand-selected clothes straight to your door (or, in my case, your local FedEx location). When you sign up for a box, you fill out a style profile, request certain items and, if you choose to, share a Pinterest page full of styles you love. To complete your order, you pay a $20 styling fee which covers shipping and can be applied to any items you want to keep from the box.

Then, a StitchFix stylist hand-picks five clothing or accessory items based on your style hopes and dreams and sends them to you. You can give your stylist a preferred price range, but my impression is that items usually run around $50 a piece, with a few items going cheaper and a few going higher.

About a week later, a lovely StitchFix box arrives at your doorstep. You have three days to try on the items, pair them with other clothing in  your wardrobe and decide which pieces you want to keep. You pay for the things you want to keep and send back (free of charge) anything you're not interested in.

I love trying on clothes and getting packages in the mail, so Stitch Fix has been on my radar for a while. However, I'm also cheap, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to fork over the $20 styling fee in exchange for a box of mystery clothing that may or may not be in my price range. I'll pay $35 for a shirt, but $60? Yeah, isn't happening.  But this month I finally decided to go for it. And yesterday, my box arrived.



Obligatory picture of the box!

Shall we begin?


Look at everything looking lovely on the bed!


THE GOOD

The first item was wonderful. A perfectly fitted, expensive-feeling, silky button-up blouse from Collective Concepts. This is exactly the type of shirt I love.



...unfortunately, I already own a nearly identical one.




THE BAD

The second piece was a pair of Kut from the Kloth straight-legged jeans. The jeans were some of the most comfortable and well-fitted jeans I've ever put on, BUT they were straight legged jeans, which is a really unflattering cut on me. They tend to pool at the knees and ankles. On one hand, I did tell my stylist I only wear skinny jeans. On the other hand, her job is too add new pieces to my wardrobe and suggest things I've never done before, so...



Yes, I am standing on the bathroom counter. Sometimes the 
lighting is better in your bathroom than in your bedroom. 


The next shirt had a great color and material weight, but the style was not for me. It highlighted my hips when I prefer to accentuate my waist. Also, it had wings? This shirt just screamed early 2000s to me, but maybe I'm misremembering fashion styles.




















I asked for warm-weather clothes, so my stylist sent a teal Olive and Oak knitted sweater. Again, the color was on target, but it was just boxy and featureless.



Yes I am also kneeling on my bathroom counter. 
No judgment, please. 


THE UGLY

And then we arrive at the complete and utter fail of the box. I truly don't think I've ever put on a less flattering piece of clothing. The pictures do not do the awfulness of this skirt justice. I showed my stylist a pinterest board PACKED with full, natural-waisted skirts. And she sent me this:






















This skirt has the power to create new rolls of fat, 
love handles, and even an early pregnancy belly. 
And, yes. I am definitely still standing on the bathroom counter. 

A tight, fitted, jersey-skirt with an elastic waistband that looks like it belongs on boxer briefs or gym shorts. AND my stylist suggested that I wear it to work. Hahaha what? Maybe she was trying to push me out of my box, but man this just missed the mark so hilariously.

In the end, I sent everything back. However, I was impressed that my stylist found something as perfect as the black blouse (even if I couldn't keep it) as well as a pair of jeans that fit me perfectly. I've also heard that the first fix is always the roughest, because it's hard to give good direction until you start trying on actual clothes.

If I ever have a spare $20 to spend I might try it again, if only for the joy of getting a package full of pretty things.

If you want to try StitchFix yourself, just click here. Full disclosure, if you order a box, I will get a $25 referral credit. However, it doesn't affect anything on your end, so no need to worry!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Drop a note below!